If you need support Winston's Wish www.winstonswish.org has a trained team who can help you through this difficult time and they can be contacted by phone, online chat, email and also have a crisis line.
Locally there is Star Bereavement who can be contacted by phone, Facebook or through their website https://www.starwakefield.org.uk
If you can’t attend the funeral, what other ways can you say goodbye?
- Help with planning the funeral, have a say on the choice of flowers, music or songs played, write a tribute or poem to be read at the service.
- Write a letter, draw something or find a special photograph to be put in the coffin with your loved one.
- Ask if someone will take photographs so you can see the building inside and out, flowers etc.
- Some funerals are being live streamed so families and friends can be part of the service at home or they can record it and watch it together afterwards to support each other.
- If the family is arranging a memorial for the future or getting together to remember and celebrate the person's life, ask to help with the arrangements.
- Make your own memorial, plant their favourite flowers, create a memory book or have a cushion made out of a piece of their clothing that smells and reminds you of them which can be a great comfort.
Adapted from Winston’s Wish website https://www.winstonswish.org