Did you know exercise can be fun? It’s a great way to spend time with friends and family
Why is exercise so good?
It builds a stronger heart, bones and healthier muscles. It also makes our body produce chemicals (called endorphins) which help us feel happier and also reduces stress. Regular activity can also help us:
- Have more energy
- Make new friends (if we join a club or group)
- Focus better at school
- Be more confidence
- Improve our balance (when we ride a bike or blades)
- Have a good night's sleep
How long should I do physical activity for?
You should take part in physical activities for at least one hour every day, but it can be more. You need to work hard enough to make your heart and breathing go faster and begin to sweat, but you should still be able to talk while doing the activity.
If you have a health problem or disability make sure you know your limits and you choose something that you can do safely.
Keep it fun
It’s important to find activities you enjoy. This way it will be more fun and you'll be more likely to stick at it. Things like:
- Riding a bike (wearing a helmet)
- Taking the dog for a walk
- Playing tag with friends
- Dancing (even in your bedroom) or majorettes
- Workout with Joe Wicks
- Martial arts
- Using equipment in school or parks
- Playing a sport
Top tips to get you started
- Choose an activity you enjoy. But you can mix it up so you don’t get bored
- Decide if you want to do it alone, with your family or in a group/club
- Check out if there is a cost, do you need a kit or special equipment and will you need to travel to get there
- Add it into your planner or your phone (if you have one) or tell an adult so you are reminded
- Stick with it...so it becomes part of your routine and it will then help you get fit and stay well
- Remember you can do physical activity almost anywhere, inside the house, in the garden at the park or at school. Be creative and go for it!