A few changes to your routine over 24 hours can significantly improve your health and wellbeing.
How much do you know about sleep? Take the Sleep Quiz!
The importance of sleep!
At this difficult time, due to the worries because of the corona virus outbreak, it is more important than ever to sleep well. Our immune system doesn’t work so well if we don’t sleep well, and we pick up bugs more easily, experience aches and pains. Emotionally we may feel more worried or have a short fuse and lose our tempers more.
During the lock down situation it is a great time to try out helpful sleep practices (see our top tips below) and get our sleep patterns back on track. Why not read through our sleep advice and set yourself some challenges for the following weeks to improve your sleep and experience the great benefits of sleeping well every night!
If we get a good night’s sleep we feel so much better both physically and emotionally
Why can't I sleep?
Sleep difficulties are very common amongst children, young people and adults too. All sorts of factors can impact on our sleep such as
- General worries about friendships, family relationships, school work or the future
- Not getting enough time exercising or being outdoors
- Certain foods and drinks; such as coffee, energy drinks or a big supper
- Our bedroom environment; it might be too noisy, too warm, too light, and most commonly – use of devices (playstation, IPAD, phones, laptop) has a big influence on our night time sleep.
- Time on devices close to bedtime can often stop us from falling off to sleep and getting a good night’s sleep. The light from the screens affect how much melatonin our brain creates. Melatonin tells your body it’s time to sleep.
Benefits of getting enough sleep!
- Concentrate better
- Make good choices
- Solve problems easier
- Feel calmer and happier
- Be more creative and come up with new ideas
- Get along with friends and family better